Monday, August 30, 2010

Big Boy Bed!

Yesterday at nap time Matt just up and announced that he wanted to sleep in his big boy bed. He climbed up there, laid down, and went to sleep. I was amazed. We told him how proud we were off him and I could tell he was pleased that we were pleased. And, last night, back into the big boy bed! I guess sometimes they just have to make up there own mind on these things.

On another note, we went to the pediatric pulmanologist this morning for a check up regarding Matthew's asthma condition and, while they were very nice about it, I got the vibe they were not happy with me. I had experimented this summer with cutting way back on some of his asthma medications (with no deleterious effects I might add) and they did not seem to think that was ok. In particular, I had stopped completely the Flovent (which, I believe, helps to strengthen lung tissue) and their preference would have been that I go to one puff a day rather than completely stopping it as it takes two weeks before it starts working. I thought I would be fine starting back up now as we get ready for cold and flu season but the doctors said that they see a lot of asthma exacerbations in September with back to school. So, we will get back to it and hope he doesn't get sick in the next two weeks before the Flovent "kicks in" again. Matthew weighed in today and 26.7 pounds and 32 inches tall.

Matthew's current medicines as recommended by the pulmanologist:
Prevacid - 1 tablet per day dissolved in water, taken on an empty stomach with no food consumed for 20-30 minutes (seriously, try to make this happen with a 2 year old!)
Flovent - up to two puffs twice a day
Xoponex - taken through an inhaler or a nebulizer as needed for coughing and wheezing
Zyrtec - OTC taken as needed

No comments: