Monday, May 16, 2011

Travel Diary, Days 4-7: Birthdays, Beards, and Fjords

So, my access to good computers has been hit or miss and has impacted my blogging. I'm also having trouble uploading pictures so sorry I can't share one here - too bad because I have a good one of Paul (in his competition get up) and I (freshly turned 40!).
Since I last posted we have spent two days relaxing aboard the ship Hurtigruten, travelling to Trondheim (Northish, I think). We had spectacular views of the Fjords (cliff like mountains with waterfalls everywhere you look, often snowcapped). It was a great time to slow down and watch the beauty pass us by rather than chasing it down as one often does sightseeing.
We arrived in Trondheim early on Saturday morning and walked like a pack of refugees with our luggage to the hotel (with 60 year old, Parkinson-ridden Terry leading the way!). I thought we looked quite a sight. After dropping our luggage, we went to a beautiful pipe organ concert at the Cathedral (believed to be built in 1000 AD). It was short but lovely (as they like to say on this side of the pond). Saturday night was the welcoming party for the Beard Championships and it basically a time for the whole cast of characters to get together and socialize. We met lots of unique characters who quickly became friends.
Sunday was the day of competition and the men like a flock of peacocks, preened and ready to show off. It really is a sight to see! Sociology in motion - up close and personal. Paul had only 7 competitors but the competition was stiff and Paul took home only his diploma. But, it was a good showing and got lots of praise from the crowd. For example, the first place winner (and best in show) had his beard styled in to a landscape complete with reindeer and tree. Yes, a reindeer - it was something else.
Yesterday, also marked the 40th anniversary of my birth. Very hard to digest that I could possibly be 40 years old. But, a memorable day it was! While it was one wild day of beard-watching, the highlight was actually getting to hear the voices of my sweet babies thanks to some careful coordination between Ashleigh and Paul (yahoo for Lingo!).

No comments: